We're a small and young fantasy sports startup, with a solid business plan.
We have an existing, robust PHP/MySql web app that is close to Beta quality, and we're looking for one talented all-around software developer who can be the CTO/CIO for our company. Currently we are finishing our MVP, and we need a CTO/CIO level technical co-founder to join us and take our product to next level - prototype/alpha/beta. A good candidate would continue pick up where the current team left off, write the remaining functionality to get us to launch. We're currently working to revolutionize the Fantasy Sports industry. Since we're in the early stages of development, we cannot publicly disclose our business model.
- have built large consumer-facing websites using various web development frameworks
- can describe in their first message how they would design a low-level client-server messaging protocol for a custom application (yes, question intentionally vague)
- have an interest or passion for fantasy sports
- are available for freelance work withing 2-3 weeks, 100% committed
- looking to join start-up and willing to take lead/design/development
- can provide samples of prior work
We are looking for a leader with the following technical qualifications:
- Experience in architecting and developing highly scalable/available systems
- Experience or strong understanding of MySQL databases
- Experience in developing communication and collaboration applications such as email, chat, IM, micro-blog, forum, wiki
- Strong understating of user interface design
- Strong understanding of cross-browser development (IE, Chrome, FireFox, Safari, etc) in different platforms (windows, Mac, IPhone, IPad, Android)
- Strong understand of programming Language: PHP
- Strong understand of PHP Framework: CodeIgniter MVC
- Experience in IIS management of websites: performance tuning, security, scalability.
In addition, we expect our technical leader:
- Is honest/dependable and have the highest ethical/business standards
- Is interested in contributing as part of the founding team member, in exchange for equity
- Has the time/energy to devote to this startup to make it successful
- Is an awesome team player
- Ss passionate about entrepreneurship
- A problem solver. Our product brings together the best sports content on the web and must do so flawlessly.
- Looking to build a startup company into a powerhouse
- Passionate about users. We aim to develop a world-class user experience for sports fans.
- Agile. Test, test, test. The product we deliver is the one that users tell us they want.
- Strategy & Planning
- In partnership with the company’s founder, identify opportunities and risks for delivering the company’s services as a web-based business, including identification of competitive services, opportunities for innovation, and assessment of marketplace obstacles and technical hurdles to the business success.
- Identify technology trends and evolving social behavior that may support or impede the success of the business.
- Evaluate and identify appropriate technology platforms (including web application frameworks and the deployment stack) for delivering the company’s services.
- Lead strategic planning to achieve business goals by identifying and prioritizing development initiatives and setting timetables for the evaluation, development, and deployment of all web-based services.
- Participate as a member of the senior management team in establishing governance processes of direction and control to ensure that objectives are achieved, risks are managed appropriately and the organization’s resources are used responsibly, particularly in the areas of software development, office networks and computers, and telecommunications.
- Collaborate with the appropriate departments to assess and recommend technologies that support company organizational needs.
- Establish a governance process that meets government, partner, and company expectations for customer information privacy.
- Direct development and execution of an enterprise-wide information security plan that protects the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the company’s data and servers.
- Direct development and execution of an enterprise-wide disaster recovery and business continuity plan.
- Communicate the company’s technology strategy to investors, management, staff, partners, customers, and stakeholders.
- Implementation & Deployment
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of technology standards, industry trends, emerging technologies, and software development best practices by attending relevant conferences and reading widely (including reading your peers’ blogs!).
- Define and communicate company values and standards for acquiring or developing systems, equipment, or software within the company.
- Ensure that technology standards and best practices are maintained across the organization.
- Share knowledge, mentor, and educate the organization’s investors, management, staff, partners, customers, and stakeholders with regard to the company’s technological vision, opportunities, and challenges.
- Ensure company technical problems are resolved in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Develop, track, and control the development and deployment annual operating and capital budgets for purchasing, staffing, and operations.
- As a member of the senior management team, participate in the selection and registration of the company’s web site domain names, including any related-but-unused domains that could compromise the integrity of the business (through competition, typosquatting, etc.).
- Establish email service for the company (in the absence of a system administrator).
- Select and set up a software revision control sytem and repository (in the absence of a system administrator).
- Select and set up web-based internal communications systems, such as a wiki, blog, chatroom, project management, and bug tracking systems (in the absence of a system administrator).
- Collaborate with the founders and potential customers to develop use cases (or user stories) and specifications that describe the implementation of the company’s services as a web application.
- Collaborate with a User Experience Designer and potential customers to prepare wireframes or mockups of a prototype of the company’s web application.
- As a member of the senior management team, participate in the selection of a graphic designer who will create the company corporate identity and design the web application’s look and feel. Ensure that the graphic designer has sufficient web experience, follows guidelines established in the User Experience design process, and delivers assets that can be easily adapted to web requirements.
- Select and manage company staff or outsourced vendors who will implement a design as web pages using CSS and XHTML conforming to web standards.
- Select or define the company’s software development methodology.
- Establish a specification conformance and testing regimen based on user stories and the User Experience design.
- Promulgate coding conventions and documentation standards.
- Review current best practices for the selected web framework and establish the initial architecture for the application.
- Select and manage company staff or outsourced vendors who will implement the application.
- Establish and supervise the software development process, setting short-term objectives and assessing progress as defined by the selected software development methodology.
- Conduct code reviews and specification conformance testing as defined by the selected software development methodology.
- Establish and supervise a quality assurance process, including integration and system testing.
- Select, deploy, and monitor performance profiling tools and procedures.
- Review and approve proposed development releases and manage the release process.
- Evaluate and select web application hosting providers.
- Establish an application deployment process and supervise deployment to staging and production servers.
- Monitor application performance and review any application failures in staging or production.
- Establish and monitor a web analytics regime that measures site traffic and application usage relative to business goals.
- Support the marketing process by providing implementation of technical requirements for - Internet marketing and search engine optimization.
If you have all these qualifications, that is great. I definitely want to talk to you.
If you have experience in only some of these qualifications, we still suggest contacting us. You might be our CTO/CIO or one of our Architects.
If you are a specialist in any of the above technical areas, I also would like to talk you to become part of our founding team member.