Code an Education Revolution (@Qykno) in 54 hours!
Location: San Francisco Bay Area (San Francisco, Oakland, Berkeley)
Event: Startup Weekend Education (June 3rd - 5th)
On June 3rd - 5th, an event called Startup Weekend Education will gather hackers, hustlers, and designers together and for 54 hours, teams will be formed around groundbreaking ideas, and each team will be engineering their product on-premise for the length of the entire weekend. There will be guests speakers, press, and a panel of judges who will be judging each product and its pitch at the end of this build-a-thon.
The Mission: Careerspotting 4 Kids
Should you choose to accept it, is to build a minimum viable product of Qykno, a Careerspotting for Kids platform that exposes youth ages 12-21 to career possibilities using video storytelling and social gaming. There are two pathways to take for a MVP depending on the skillset of the team:
(1) Web app of Video Storytelling - A catalog of video content that features the stories of professionals sharing the how-tos of their journey.
(2) Mobile app of "roadmapping" that will be a location-based social game where kids receive awards and points for checking into destinations related to their career path.
Will consist of five core members - three uniquely talented coders and:
Kalimah Priforce (me): 12+ years in education, youth dev. & biz strategy | Co-Founder @ Qykno
Taisha Rucker: Attorney | Program Director at Pacific Educational Group
Taisha and I will handle content creation, be responsible for marketing the product, and recruiting the UI/UX design and video production talent to the team from those in attendance. I'll pitch the concept to the crowd and draw excitement for the project.
- Able to work with a diverse team with other programmers/developers in an intensive fast-pace environment.
- You care more about getting it done than it having to be perfect.
- Experience with at least one modern programming language such as Ruby on Rails, PHP, AJAX, ActionScript, Python, C++, C#, Objective C, or Java.
- A love of games and gameplay.
- Social game development experience.
- Experience with Facebook APIs.
- You're available to join our team full-time; must have a flexible schedule.
- We pay for your entry ticket ($75) value, plus food and transportation to and from your residence.
- If we win, $5,000 divided amongst the team, plus the recognition of winning a high profile tech event.
- Guaranteed invitation to join the co-founder/management team and join us for startup seed accelerator programs in the summer.
Contact us: team[at]qykno[dot]com, 347-985-0365, skype/gchat: kapriforce
We'll be making our final decisions by mid-may.